Category Archives: Car Rental
Renting a car offers a lot of advantages. When traveling for a trip on business or pleasure, it affords you a number of options, flexibility and freedom. You do not have to travel with your own car, which may not always be feasible, reasonable or cost effective. For these and many other reasons, a lot of people require the best car rental services that there is. This demand has led to a growing list of major and small time companies offering car rental services.
In the midst of all the available choices, one may find it bit difficult to identify the company offering the best rental car services to suit personalized needs. Today, a number of factors have made renting a car trickier. The economic recession plus increased taxes have forced many rental companies to hike their prices. Many automakers have stopped giving out discount rates to large fleet buyers, causing rental companies to charge higher. Some rental companies now even charge for services that used to be free. Here are some tips to help you secure the best car rental services at less cost.
Do Not Limit Your Search
Companies and websites offer various prices that change regularly. No car category or website will offer the best car rental rates all the time. What may seem as the cheapest rate may be bested by a new and better offer just made available on another website. To get the best car rental rates, you need to search web. Some good web links to begin your search include Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline and Hotwire. You can also check the direct sites of some major rental companies for the best rental car deals available. You may need to check periodically to get updated on the best car rental deals.
If you have a scheduled trip or occasion that warrants your renting a car, it pays to start the search early. When you book in advance, you can fix in on the present best car rental rate, which hedges you against future price increases. If the rates do drop, or if you find better rates elsewhere, you can simply cancel the booking and opt for the cheaper deal.
Small is Not Always Cheaper
When looking for the best car rental deal available, some people make the mistake of assuming that a small car may mean cheaper prices. A number of rentals have slashed down their rates on larger cars such as SUVs when they noticed people where avoiding it due to the higher fuel consumption rate. So if you require large car space, and won’t really be doing much driving then bigger cars may just be your best rental deal.
Check Price Over Services Offered
Opting for the least quote may not always be the best deal. For example, some local car rentals offer limited or no form of insurance. If you should unfortunately be engaged in an accident you may end up paying more. Some rental agency also save you money, as they speed you through the check out services and can offer more value added services and better cars.
While on vacation, you and your family are eager to explore and to get to know the people and the culture at your own pace and leisure, but you may find the organized tours too boring and hectic, and the public transport system too confusing and challenging. To get the most out of your vacation the best solution for you may be to rent a car.
The quickest way for you to find a car rental service is to search on the internet or just to leaf through the yellow pages of your local directory or to look at the classified pages of the local newspapers. You should easily be able to find plenty of advertisements for the local rent-a-cars.
If you are unfamiliar with what car rental services are, they are services that engage in the business of renting out cars for short periods of time, most often to visitors or travelers. And the length of this rental period may vary from just a few hours to even a few weeks. Obviously this kind of car rental service does require a fee, but the rental car rates are usually quite reasonable depending on the type of rental car you want to drive, ranging from small compact cars to family-sized minivans or SUVs.
If you need to locate a car rental service, networks and branches of numerous rental car agencies can be found spread out across the entire country and sometimes abroad as well. These car rental agencies are generally located near airports or in central locations of cities. So even if you are unfamiliar with a new city, it is not at all hard to locate a car rental agency.
Not only do rental car services cater to travelers; they also cater to those people whose cars are temporarily out of service, damaged or destroyed, and also to those who may be waiting for an insurance renewal. Other than renting out passenger cars, car rental agencies also rent out heavy duty vehicles such as vans or trucks for industrial transportation purposes.
If you decide to use a car rental service you have to keep the following points in mind:
* You have to return the car exactly in the same condition as it was at the time of renting.
* You have to pay extra charges if you exceed the distance that was stipulated in the contract.
* You must be over a specific age in order to be able to rent a car. In some state this age can be as high as 25.
* Many of the agencies take advantage of GPS technology to ensure that the car is not driven above a certain speed limit or does not go beyond a specified territorial limit.
The average car rental is a process that should be given more than last minute attention during travel. Unfortunately, many families (and business travelers) fail to do a few small things in advance that could lead to a more stress-free car rental travel experience. As any frequent traveler knows, getting the car rental right at the beginning of the trip can certainly result in a much more enjoyable trip for all concerned at the end. Below are 5 keys to a successful car rental that every traveler should make note of:
1. Do a little homework. As with any wise buying decision, even a little preparation can save dollars. For example, the wise and experienced traveler will make sure their own automobile insurance is up to date and sufficient for their planned car rental needs. It is widely accepted that travelers need not take the rental company insurance offered if their own coverage can protect them adequately. The only exception to this might be: lack of insurance because the renter does not have a personal car. In this case, the higher-priced rental company insurance is better than none at all.
2. Understand your rental agreement. Wise car rental customers will make absolutely sure they understand the terms and requirements of any car or vehicle rental agreement. This is a major part of preparation for travel and car rental, and should not be something that is studied only when a problem arises. Some details that should always be confirmed include: 1) How many miles are allowed per day (experienced rental customers agree that unlimited mileage is best for most travelers), and 2) Is the customer required to refill the gasoline tank when the car is returned? Rental companies generally offer a fuel option that allows the customer to pay up front for a tank of gasoline. This means that the driver can return the car without filling the tank. In most cases it is best to buy gasoline when needed, filling the tank just before returning the car.
3. Know what you are renting. While many travelers will actually consider insurance, mileage and gasoline when renting a car, most will not take the time to look at the car’s physical condition to check for dents, scratches and other appearance problems. Feedback from customers and customer complaints indicate that car rental companies will sometimes try to blame these problems on the current renter. To avoid this difficulty, wise car rental customers will point out any problems prior to taking the car, making sure that the company representative notes scratches, dents and upholstery problems, in writing. Tip: Experienced renters use their digital cameras to document any problems before driving away.
4. Look for value but pay for happiness. The car rental industry has grown quickly and now includes dozens of choices. This level of competition has led to reduced prices, even from some of the top-name companies. Of course, the best deal for the lowest price is everyone’s goal. However, experience in the field of car rentals has taught many people that the lowest price is not always the key to happiness. (It’s always a good idea to pay particular attention to the “howevers.”) As the choices expand, customers are tempted to choose lesser-known companies to save money. Many of these occasional renters assume that state and federal laws will protect them from any major problems. While it is generally true that the “name-brand” corporations and many smaller companies will provide a quality, worry-free experience, problems can arise with some of the smaller start-up businesses. The wise renter will be sure to clear up any doubts about terms and car conditions, especially with smaller fleet businesses. The pressure of creating and growing a business may lead some to cut corners. In the end, the customer may have to pay for that pressure.
5. Stress the small details. There are a number of items in the small print of rental agreements that can add to or subtract from the overall cost you finally end up paying. Two that should be understood fully at the start are: 1) Return requirements – Is the original renter required to bring the car back to the same location? There may be a charge for returning the vehicle to another site. 2) Will there be an extra charge if the driver is under a particular age. Companies may include a surcharge if the driver is under 25, for example. These are the most popular and can mean hidden charges at the end of your trip you weren’t counting on. Make sure you read the small print and ask questions before driving that rental car of the lot.
Vacations can be hectic enough without adding the stresses of a bad car rental into the equation. The mistakes that the average traveler makes when renting a car vary from a lack of planning before the trip begins, to doing small things during the rental process that end up costing him or her more money in the end. Wise travelers can avoid these mistakes by following the five tips outlined above to achieve a successful stress-free car rental.
If your want to enjoy your Hawaii vacations to the maximum, you must go for renting a car. It is necessary because public transport is not easily available in various cities of Hawaii (except Honolulu) and taxi service is quite expensive. But before booking a car from a car renting agency, you must do some homework to avoid inconvenience.
Here are some important tips while going for car rentals in Hawaii:
All the major car rental agencies accept international credit cards only. Some may accept even debit cards. Only a few agencies accept car rentals in cash. But you should avoid making cash payment as reputed car rental agencies only prefer payment through credit cards. Agencies accepting cash may not be having good reputation.
Throughout Hawaii you can move about in a regular car. SUV or 4×4 are not required (except you are moving to summit of Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii. So, renting 4×4 or SUV is sheer wastage of money and you can save a lot of dollars by hiring a regular car.
The car rental agencies are very strict about damage done to the car. So you should drive the rented car very cautiously. The agencies check the rented cars thoroughly e.g. even the mirrors under the car also checked when you return it.
You must not drive the car off the road. Technically, if you will drive the car off the road, you are violating the rental agreement. And if you have violated the rental agreement, car insurance becomes invalid. Many tourists had to pay heavy penalties for damaging the cars or their car is struck somewhere on the off-road. Remember, you will not be allowed to leave the state until you clear all your debts. So, to be on the safer side, avoid making costly mistakes i.e. don’t damage the car and always drive it on the road.
Many agencies provide online booking of cars which is comparatively cheaper as there is lot of competition on the internet. You can save even more if you book you car while you are booking your air tickets and/or accommodation.
Booking a car well in advance will also help to save on your pocket. The rental rates fluctuate depending on the demand of cars. And once you have booked your car, you get immunity towards these fluctuations.
Always book you car for not more than a week at a stretch. The packages beyond a week generally cost higher rental.
Always opt for prepayment for the fuel at the rental counter. And refuel car at the airport filling station before returning. If you return car before refueling, the renting agencies charge exorbitantly high once car is back in their possession.
Before going for temporary car insurance, check it up with you own insurance company. It is possible that you may already been covered for rental insurance. If it so, you can save the money which you were going to spend on you temporary insurance. Some card companies also provide such insurance, so also check it from your credit card company. The salesman at the car rental agency generally insist for going for insurance. But be sure that you already covered or not before shelling out your money.
For under aged tourists (below 25 year), the under age fee to cover the risk is very high (any thing between $25 to $75). Also, in Hawaii, car is not given on rent to a tourist who is below 21 years of age.
In case of break down of the car immediately call you car rental agency otherwise your expenses will not be covered.
On you arrival, if the car rental agency shows its inability to provide you the booked car model, you must negotiate to provide higher model at the same rate which was settled at the time of booking. Certain car rental agencies make such excuses just to give you higher model at much higher rates. You have every right to get the model you have booked with the agency. Or if they still insist, better to move to another agency. Remember, there is cut throat competition, as far as car rental is concerned.
There are various car rental places where you can rent a car or may need to rent a car. When looking for an airport car rental service, there are a number of factors to consider in cognizance of the fact that the airport is a very busy place. At the airport, there are several specific car rental places guidelines relating to airport rental cars. You also have to be sure that the car rental guidelines work well with your own travel arrangements.
When looking for a car to rent, there are several considerable options. The renter could book for a car online, via telephone or try to contact a rental service upon arrival at any of the car rental places. To secure the desired car and the best available rates and deals, it helps to contact the rental company in advance. You can simply use the internet to search and compare car rental rates from the comfort of your home prior to you trip.
The internet also affords you an opportunity to compare quotes and even check out reviews on various rental companies. Online resources make it easy for you to get adequate rental information on rental car places that you have never even visited before. You can compare rental rates in a city before arrival, compare additional services offered and make a booking in advance. Some websites are helpful when making comparisons. They offer quotes, reviews and other information on a number of rental companies on their website. This makes it easier to make decision before even arriving at the rental car places.
By using a search engine, you can search for rental car services that are available in a particular airport or city. The gathered information would greatly help you to finalize decisions on care rental. When doing a search online, watch out for ongoing promotions. Some companies may be doing a promotional campaign to boost patronage. You can also search for available promotional discount coupons. Search online based on the name of the rental company with the term promotional coupons. You can also search using the term promotional coupon along with the car rental places.
Some rental companies offer up to 50% discounts during weekend in some car rental places. If you are a frequent traveler and are regularly in need of cars for rent you can join a loyalty program. Some members can also qualify for discounts with some rental service providers. Some high profile hotels also offer relatively limited and cheap rental services, which you can take advantage of.
Rates and quotes offered by various airport rental companies change regularly. You would need to check regularly to get the best updated rates and quotes. You could even offer to get negotiated prices. When you finally decide, be sure to understand fully the rates, conditions and coverage that you enjoy. Some rental companies offer certain free value added services and insurance coverage. With the right information, you can book for a good car rental service that suits your needs and your budget.